Sunday, May 28, 2006

Bonds (Unfortunately) Tops Ruth

I'm a huge baseball fan and always have been. I played little league, but my brother was the all-star while I usually chased bumblebees out in right field. I even founf a four-leaf clover once. Our mother would spend all day at the ballpark with us, keeping score for our games, then working the concession stand the rest of the day. We grew up watching the Dodgers in the Garvey-Lopes-Russell-Cey-Yeager era, and I became (I thought) a life-long fan.

I lost sight of baseball for awhile during the last strike, but was promptly brought back by the great Cal Ripken Jr. and an Angels win in the World Series. The rumors of steroids and rampant cheating were all over by then, but not a word from MLB. It seems that there is no doubt that players like Sammy Sosa, Rafael Palmeiro, Mark McGwire, Jose Canseco and Barry Bonds all used them. And, of course, they all lied about it. I guess the money was too good to stand up for what was right. The usual big corporation approach.

Bonds hit number homerun 715 at today, moving ahead of the great Babe Ruth and closing on the legendary Hank Aaron. I think it's sad that this cheater, liar and drug abuser is still playing, and may ultimately hold one of baseball's most prestigious records. MLB will "investigate" but we all know that nothing will be done. Bonds and his like hit the long ball and bring in fans, so MLB will keep looking the other way. And sadly, the players who don't cheat will suffer. And so will the fans.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whether you like him or not, he's entertaining and the best baseball player ever!

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's easy to be the best baseball player ever when you are pumped up with drugs that you are apparently either too stupid to know about, or too big of a liar to tell the truth about..

What a hero and wonderous role model!

No wonder you are anonymous- You're as big of an idiot as Bonds is, but at least he's rich for it!!

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have as much respect for Bonds as I do for Dwight Gooden--who swears he will be drug free when they let him out of jail! Sure!

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home