Saturday, June 17, 2006

France approves new immigration bill

Just for fun, let's look at France's new immigration policy, since they are so much more cultured and refined then we pedestrian Americans, via the BBC :

"PROPOSED NEW RULES:
Only the qualified get "skills and talents" residency permit
Foreigners only allowed in to work, not live off benefits
Foreign spouses to wait longer for residence cards
Migrants must agree to learn French
Migrants must sign 'contract' respecting French way of life
Scraps law on workers getting citizenship after 10 years"


Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy says that "France, like a number of other western countries, needs to choose the immigrants it needs."

I wonder if anyone in Congress or the White House saw this...

3 Comments:

Blogger bobgirrl said...

I've done a bit of travelling although have never lived in another country. I've seen enough to know that I live in the best country and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. One thing I've always thought, however, is that IF I ever did choose to live somewhere else, I would learn the language and adopt the customs of my new country. I wouldn't live someplace where I had a fundamental difference of opinion with their way of life. What would be the point? I'd be miserable. (I'll stop now before I go on a full-scale rant. If only things were as simple as in my little brain.)

10:35 PM  
Blogger Cop the Truth said...

I completely agree, and, for the most part, that was the case forty and fifty years ago. It seems today that people are much less inclined to do so, especially here in the U.S. But it's interesting that, in the wake of all the citicising that France has been doing, that they would adopt such a restricting immigration policy....maybe bleed-over from all the recent protests?

7:14 AM  
Blogger bobgirrl said...

France is going to very shortly face an escalation in the issues they've seen for a few years now with their growing Muslim population. As the population of non-Muslim French stagnates or even declines while that of Muslims significantly increases, things are going to get very interesting. I see this turning into a "do as we say not as we do" situation.

For an interesting perspective on why the Mexican immigration issue is different than that of Europeans and Asians earlier in our country's history, check out Victor Davis Hanson's Mexifornia. I love that book.

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home